Asian Spiced Red Cabbage Recipe
And of course, all the main ingredients you need are in this month’s Share Fresh Vegetable Box!
- 1 Red cabbage
- 2 shallots or 1 onion
- 1 small apple (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons (30g) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) wine or cider vinegar
- 2 star anise
- 1 large or 2 small fresh red chillies
- 50g roasted cashew nuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) sesame oil
- Cut the red cabbage into quarters, remove the stalk from the centre, and then shred it by slicing each quarter thinly (about 5mm slices)
- Slice the shallots or onion finely
- Peel the apple (if using) and slice that finely too
- Chop the garlic
- Slice the chillies finely (be careful to hold the chillies with a piece of kitchen paper while you chop and wash your hands immediately afterwards!!)
- Put all the ingredients except the cashew nuts and oil into a saucepan that has a well-fitting lid
- Bring the saucepan to the boil (you’ll get the hit of the vinegar) and immediately turn down the heat to a slow simmer
- Simmer the cabbage mixture for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure everything is mixed and it’s not cooking too fast.
- Stir in the chopped nuts and oil, remove the star anise (if you can find them!) and serve!