In the UK, we usually eat avocados as a savoury, on their own, in salad or mashed on toast like guacamole. In South America, where they come from, however, they’re eaten as a fruit. This super-easy salad works both ways – you can serve it as an accompaniment to savoury mains, or serve it on its own as an original tropical fusion dessert!
You’ll find avocados, pineapple, tomato and passion fruit all in this month’s Share Fresh Fruit Box! This recipe brings together so many of the health benefits we’ve been mentioning in these posts this month too.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
1 ripe avocado
1 large ripe tomato
4 thin slices of pineapple (about 5mm thick), rind removed
For the dressing:
- Grated rind of an orange
- 2 passion fruit
- A tiny squeeze of lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- OPTIONAL 1 tablespoon runny honey
- Make the dressing. Cut the passion fruit in half and spoon out the flesh and seeds into a bowl. Add the other ingredients and stir vigorously to combine. Taste and add more lemon juice or honey if you want it tarter or sweeter.
- Halve the avocado, remove the stone, peel and slice thinly
- Slice the tomato thinly into rounds
- Cut the slices of pineapple into quarters
- Arrange the slices of avocado, tomato and pineapple alternately around the plate
- Pour the dressing over the salad
- It’s ready!