Beetroot & Orange Carpaccio Recipe
Beetroot & orange carpaccio:
- 2 beetroots (around 200-250g each)
- 1 large orange
- 40g walnuts
- 120g feta or another white crumbly goat cheese
- 100ml neutral oil (e.g. rapeseed), (don’t use olive oil as it is to fragrant, and your dressing might end up having a bitter taste)
- 40ml orange juice
- 10ml lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of apple vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of honey mustard (you can also use 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard+1/2 teaspoon of honey)
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh thyme
Bake the beetroots at 200 C (gas mark 6) - 200g beetroot needs 60-70 minutes; 250g needs 80-90 minutes). Allow to cool, and peel off the skin. Slice them as thin as you can, either using a knife or a mandoline slicer.
Segment the orange, removing the membranes and pith
Roast the walnuts in a dry frying pan until they go slightly golden-brown. Chop them into small pieces.
For the dressing, mix all ingredients in a jar, put the lid on, and shake until it gains a thick consistency.
To serve, arrange the round slices of beetroot on a flat plate, then the segments of orange. Pour 2-3 spoons of dressing over, then add the cheese, walnuts, 1-2 spoons of dressing and decorate with fresh thyme or microgreens.